The Pittsburgh Channel 4 reports on its website that an explosion at an “out of control” gas well in the Marcellus Shale has forced an evacuation in Clearfield County, PA.
“Natural gas and drilling fluids spewed from an out-of-control well in Clearfield County on Friday afternoon.
Emergency officials said a mile-wide area was evacuated after an operation drilling into the Marcellus Shale ruptured.
The FAA issued a flight restriction in the immediate area.
According to PEMA, the well is six miles from State Route 153 in the area of Interstate 80 exit 111.”
Here are some co.’s that have exposure to the Marcellus Shale region:
- Chesapeake Energy Corporation (CHK) : $24.20 Down $0.66 (-2.65%) 2:43PM EDT
- Rex Energy Corporation (REXX) : $10.88 Down $0.34 (-3.03%) 2:40PM EDT
- Anadarko Petroleum Corporation (APC) : $45.58 Down$ 0.48 (-1.04%) 2:42PM EDT
- XTO Energy Inc. (XTO) : $42.38 Down $1.15 (-2.64%) 2:43PM EDT
- Range Resources Corporation (RRC) : 448.08 Down $2.93 (-5.74%) 2:41PM EDT
- EQT Corporation (EQT) : $38.67 Down $2.11 (-5.17%) 2:43PM EDT
- Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation (COG) : $35.17 Down 2.00 (-5.38%) 2:44PM EDT
Elizabeth Ivers, a spokeswoman for natural gas driller EOG Resources Inc. (EOG), said the well has been brought under control, just about 16 hours after it started spewing gas.
EOG shares currently trading at $103.75 Down $5.98 (5.45%) 2:36PM EDT.