Asian markets were broadly lower Wednesday after shares on Wall Street dropped Tuesday on Germany’s decision to ban naked short selling in certain financial instruments.
- Japan’s Nikkei was down 1%
- Australia’s S&P/ASX 200 was down 1.6%
- South Korea’s Kospi Composite fell 1.6%
- Hong Kong’s Hang Seng Index lost 1.1%
- Taiwan’s main index was off 0.8% but the Shanghai Composite index had turned higher by midday and was up 0.3%
- Dow Jones Industrial Average futures were 62 points lower in screen trade – WSJ