Canadian Oil Giants Merging

Suncor Energy (SU) has announced plans to acquire one of its rivals Petro-Canada (PCZ) in a US$15 billion all stock acquisition. The merger will create the largest Canadian energy company, at a time when oil is rising above $50 per barrel, up 10% last week and another 3% so far on Monday. Canada is rich in natural resources with fairly substantial amounts of crude oil; however, much of this oil is in oil sands which can be more expensive to produce. This deal will provide C$1 billion in capital expenditures synergies and possibly as much as C$300 million of general and administrative operating cost savings. These cost savings should allow the combined company to be more aggressive in producing the oil sands.

Suncor EnergyThe deal represents approximately 25% premium to Petro-Canada’s share price, and at this point the market is reacting positively on both of these companies. Petro-Canada is trading up more than 26% and Suncor is up slightly this afternoon. Petro-Canada’s shareholders will reportedly receive 40% of the new venture with Suncor’s getting the remaining 60%. The company will retain the Suncor name in general but will retain the strong brand recognition of Petro-Canada in refining.

Petro-CanadaWe think this acquisition makes sense, as our valuation on PCZ has remained Undervalued since last summer. The stock has been trading a price-to-sales and price-to-cash flow at levels that are far below the historical norms. With major M&A deals happening basically daily at this point, it is a strong sign that at least some companies are optimistic about the future. It also suggests that Suncor doesn’t anticipate oil going back down to the $30’s in the near future.

Canadian Oil Giants Merging

About Ockham Research 645 Articles

Ockham Research is an independent equity research provider based in Atlanta, Georgia. Security analysis at Ockham Research is based upon the principle known as Ockham's Razor, named for the 14th- century Franciscan friar, William of Ockham. The principle states that a useful theory should utilize as few elements as possible, because efficiency is valuable. In this spirit, our goal is to make the investing environment as simple and understandable as possible, yet no simpler than is necessary.

We utilize this straightforward approach to value over 5500 securities, with key emphasis given to the study of individual securities' price-to-sales, price-to-cash earnings and other historical valuation ranges. Our long term value investing methodology is powered by the teachings of Ben Graham and it has proven to be very adept at identifying stock prices that are out of line with fundamental factors.

Ockham Research provides its research in a variety of forms and products including our company specific reports, portfolio analytics tools, newsletters, and blog posts. We also offer a white labeling research solution that can give any financial services firm their own research presence without the time and cost associated with building such a robust coverage universe of their own.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.